Study permits & visas

Three students reading at their desks inside a classroom

As an international student, you will be a temporary resident of Canada.

Before you come to Canada, you will need to have several documents in hand. You can apply for these permits once you have been accepted into your program.

Study permit

A study permit is not a visa. It allows you to stay in Canada temporarily. If your program is longer than six months long, including blended programs with on-campus residencies, you must have a study permit.

To apply for a study permit from the Canadian government, you need proof of:

  • your identity
  • your acceptance into your program
  • your financial support for the time you are in Canada

You may also need:

It can take weeks or even many months for your documents to arrive. Make sure you give yourself lots of time. You can check online to see the status of your Royal Roads application, and to see how long it is currently taking for Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to process study permits.

Port of entry letter of introduction

When the Canadian government approves your study permit, they will send you a port of entry letter of introduction. It is not your study permit. It is a separate document that you will show to border officials when you arrive at a port of entry to Canada.

You will also need to show this letter to our International Admissions office, before the deadline in your offer of admission letter.

Temporary Resident Visa & Electronic Travel Authorization

Along with a study permit, you may also need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a temporary resident visa (TRV). Many countries do not require a visa to enter Canada. Find out if you need a TRV or eTA.

For more information visit Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Information may change without notice. Refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the latest updates.