Transit & U-Pass


Whether you live in Victoria or are visiting campus for residency, transit options are available to help you get around.

If you're a full-time, undergraduate student studying on campus, the U-Pass gives you unlimited access to Victoria's transit system. The service includes buses and the accessible handyDART service. Students who are not eligible for the U-Pass can purchase transit tickets and monthly bus passes from the Campus Welcome Desk.

Transit system

Buses run 365 days a year in Greater Victoria.

The following buses stop at Royal Roads:

  • The #39 and #51 run on weekdays to and from the University of Victoria. The #39 stops outside of the Grant Building, and the #51 stops at the entrance to campus on Sooke Road.
  • The #52 covers Langford and Colwood and stops at the bus shelter across from Parking Lot 4.
  • The #50 runs every 10 to 15 minutes daily from downtown Victoria to Langford. It stops at the Western Exchange, a 15-minute walk from campus.

Find information about the Victoria Regional Transit System, including schedules and maps.

You can also use Google Maps to get transit information for specific times of the day. Using the "Directions" feature, you can enter your starting point and destination, select the transit icon and get transit options.


This program is provided through a partnership between the Royal Roads University Student Association, Royal Roads University, and BC Transit.

The following information provides summary information about the U-Pass. For complete details about the U-Pass program, please visit RRUSA’s U-Pass webpage.

How it works

The U-Pass is mandatory for RRUSA members in on-campus programs. If you're eligible, you'll be signed up automatically. You'll pay a mandatory annual fee based on the number of months of classes you have on campus in your program. The total cost is listed in your program's payment schedule.

If you're eligible for the pass, your student ID card will be encoded with your information and will function as your U-Pass. You can used it immediately on transit.

Your U-Pass is not transferable to another person. Transit drivers may confiscate passes that appear to be misused.

Email RRUSA if you have questions about the U-Pass program and email Student Services if you have issues with your student ID card.


The U-Pass is a mandatory program for eligible students; however, there are a few limited situations where you can get an exemption.

Exemptions are available in the following situations:

  1. You can't use conventional public transit or handyDART because of a disability you have verified with Royal Roads.
  2. You can show us that you have a BC Bus Pass issued by the Government of BC.
  3. You can show us that you are a University of Victoria or Camosun College student and already have a U-Pass.

Exemption requests are managed by Student Services, on behalf of the U-Pass program. If you qualify, submit a request for exemption from the U-Pass program by email to

Exemptions granted are valid for up to one academic year (i.e. September 1 to August 31).

Sustainability in action

Carpooling, biking, taking public transit and U-Pass initiatives are aimed to reduce the percentage of single occupancy vehicles, which currently account for 90 per cent of commuters to campus.

Public transit helps to lower greenhouse gas emissions, and reduces the need for more parking as Royal Roads University grows. Transit use on U-Pass campuses typically grows by more than 50 per cent.

Find out about transit and other campus initiatives in our sustainability plan.